Lost space on Hard Drive

Spr 21:53 14 Aug 06

I’m using Windows XP Pentium 4, 1000gb RAM.
Over the past month I seem to be losing space on my Hard Drive it is only 50gb big enough for what I want. I was using 10.5gb 4 weeks ago now it is 12.5gb.
I have installed a couple of programmes and uninstalled them using Advanced Uninstaller PRO 2006, I have also ran CCLeaner, Regseeker. I have know idea where the extra 2gb have come from.
Running Duplicate File in Advanced Uninstaller there are 408 Duplicate Files in 200 Different Groups, there are a number of ATI Support files and plenty of Empty Folder Group can I safely delete them or should I leave them alone.

Diodorus Siculus 22:21 14 Aug 06

Not sure of those but often system restore will take up a lot of space. Go into it and reduce the space it uses.

gudgulf 22:22 14 Aug 06

I would leave "duplicate" files well alone....they might not be true duplicates and you could damage your Windows installation.

Try doing a "Disk Cleanup" in Windows and under the More Options tab remove all but the last System Restore point......System Restore by default will use up to 12.5% of your hard drive space.I suspect it is the culprit in your case.

Alternatively you could leave well alone....you still have loads of space left.

SequoiaView click here is a usefull tool for identifying what is using the space on your drive....just in case it isn,t Syatem Restore.

De Marcus™ 22:22 14 Aug 06

Are you running Norton?

FelixTCat 22:28 14 Aug 06

Spr,

Things to check:

Recycle bin

Temp file

Temporary internet files

Try this program, Treesize click here

It's free and will tell you the space occupied by every folder on your disk.

Regards,

Felix

sean-278262 22:57 14 Aug 06

Google video player or any similar ones save video files to Documents/My Videos. This may account for some of the space used.

woodchip 23:02 14 Aug 06

As above Restore consumes a lot. Set your C:\ drive to about 7%

Turn it off for all other partitions

Spr 08:15 15 Aug 06

De Marcus
Yes I'm running Norton

De Marcus™ 08:24 15 Aug 06

Check the Norton system protected recycle bin (Ithink that's what it's called).

Spr 09:11 15 Aug 06

Thanks I'm now down to 9.75gb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac