lost sounds

ameba 15:48 04 Nov 03

Win ME

I searched the database before coming on here and no results came up for what I was looking for.
Anyway, I was installing the software for a new digi camera i got and the thing went haywire during the process. I uninstalled it from pc as error message said the software disc may be corrupt but it removed windows programmes as well. I reinstalled all but my sounds have gone. ( the speakers are on) My modem connection went wonky as well and that took a wee bit of juggling to fix that.
I have all the drives that came with pc but I did re install everything. I am getting pictures on media player and so on but no sound.
PLEASE HELP!

Gongoozler 16:00 04 Nov 03

ameba, if you are getting no sounds at all, have you checked in Device Manager to see if you have any problems with your sound drivers?

ameba 16:26 04 Nov 03

There is little yellow question marks next to my motorolo modem " PCI ethernet controller" and " PCI multi media device". but I'm connected so i will leave that alone for now.
I have been told to put in the disc that came with the motherboard. this may get sound back? ASUS A7V8X-X

Gongoozler 16:42 04 Nov 03

Hi ameba. The question marks suggest to me that there is a problem with the LAN controller and the sound. If you are using the onboard sound, then I suggest that you remove the sound in Device Manager and then reinstall it from the disk. If you have a PCI sound card, disable the onboard sound in BIOS. If you are not using the LAN port, then I suggest disabling that in BIOS as well. In my experience, the modem usually shows in Device Manager under that heading, but it may be different in ME.

ameba 16:53 04 Nov 03

It simple when you know how? LOL. I just needed to add the sound drive from the motherboard disc.
I noticed there was a modem set up file in the disc but I was afraid to install it incase things went funny again with the pc.
this was a new motherbard I got for the pc. do you think I should install the modem drive from the motherboard disc? The modem was connected to port 1 b-4 the problems but wouldn't let me connect to port 1 after the probs. I'm using port 3 now.
or should I best leave it for now till a friend can look at it?

ameba 17:20 04 Nov 03

I guess it is resolved for the time being. Thanks again but I will look into the modem later.
I guess LAN means telephone line connection? I did delete them and reinstalled. Anyway, I got it working somehow???????

Gongoozler 20:20 04 Nov 03

ameba, LAN is for Local Area Network, that would be a network of interconnected computers typically in the same building. Your motherboard probably doesn't have an onboard dial-up modem, in which case you won't want the modem driver on the motherboard disc.

ameba 11:29 05 Nov 03

i read up on LAN so I realised not to use the motherboard one but out of curiosity...I did it anyway. The little question marks went away when I reinstalled the sounds from the motherboard disc/drive
The VIA in the PCI bus thing which I believe is the digi camera,it has a green background question mark now.Before it was a yellow "!"
The camera works but windows will not recognise it as a valid win 32 application. And some of it's files won't install.
I will remove it from the system alltogether and contact the helpline for the digi cam and ask them to send a new disc? Apart from that all is now well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…