Lost sound in Windows Media Player

xania 23:26 15 Jan 07

I have lost the sound when viewing video using Windows Media Player v.11 - sound is fine otherwise, including playing the same video files in RealPlayer. Everything was fine until recently. Then it decided to stop the sound but only on .wmv files, then this evening it won't play sound on .mpg files as well. I've also realised that .avi files won't run at all - all still fine on RealPlayer.

So the problem is definitelky with Windows Medai Player. I've tried rolling back to v.10 but no change.

Any ideas, or do I have to repair Windows?

Running XP Pro with SP2 and all updates except still on IE6 - whose a coward!!

Many thanks for any advice.

skidzy 23:52 15 Jan 07

Have you tried the codec pack in case of broken or missing codecs click here

Diversion 23:56 15 Jan 07

Have turned the volume off on the media player itself, I had the same problem and found that I had somehow managed to turn the volume down on the media player. My finger must have pressed the mouse button as I was moving the cursor across the screen.

Diversion 23:57 15 Jan 07

Have you turned..........

Stuartli 00:11 16 Jan 07

There's also a mute button on WMP that may have inadvertently been clicked.

xania 08:52 16 Jan 07

Thanks to you both - I'll check at home this evening. It was bad enough when I just lost .wmp, which has to be software based - perhaps a driver or a codec? But the fact that I've now lost all sound may mean that I've turned something off as well.

xania 17:43 16 Jan 07

O solved the problem by deleting an old codec pack as the first part of skidzy's idea. Rebooted after uninstall and everrything back to normal.

Tahnkls for all ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…