lost sound to speakers

badhooverdog 19:58 14 Oct 08

hello,
having a prob with my creative 5.1 set up. the speakers all work but only getting output from 1 socket, ie. i can swap the plugs around but only 2 speakers work at a time. Have been using them for last few years with no probs.

Did install a new graphics card recently & that seemed to be causing some interference - buzzing though speakers in time with gpu fan. that cleared up when i installed new sound drivers last week.

Do i need a new sound card - is the same age age pc, 4-5 years.

Any thoughtS appreciated, BHD

Technotiger 20:18 14 Oct 08

If they have been working for years, I would not have thought a new sound card should be necessary. Try running click here in its default form - your hardware changes might have caused a glitch in the registry.

Technotiger 20:19 14 Oct 08

Or, check that when you installed your new graphics card, you did not dislodge anything inside the case. Make sure all cards/ram/cables etc are fully seated.

badhooverdog 22:17 14 Oct 08

thanks for the input Technotiger. will open up the case & check out the connections.

couldnt get that link you suggested. what was it?

cheers, BHD

Technotiger 22:19 14 Oct 08

Sorry about the link, it should have been click here

badhooverdog 20:17 16 Oct 08

technotiger.

had a look at the cables etc but couldnt see anything amiss. downloaded that cleaner - thanks. nifty tool. have cleaned up the registry as you suggested but still no joy.

pc appears to have onboard sound rather than a card.

Technotiger 20:29 16 Oct 08

On-board sound is AC97 - you could check in the BIOS that this has not become disabled, if it has then it is a simple matter to re-enable it.

Though I am a little puzzled why you seem to have 'part' sound working.

Failing that, it might then be a good idea to install a dedicated PCI Sound card.

badhooverdog 00:26 17 Oct 08

if i install a new sound card will that clash with the AC 97 on board sound?

maybe a prob with the amp. will have a good look at that tomorrow.

thanks technotiger

Technotiger 08:51 17 Oct 08

A dedicated sound card would take over from the on-board sound.

Technotiger 08:53 17 Oct 08

PS - first time you have mentioned having an Amp - so I would check that out first.

badhooverdog 04:05 18 Oct 08

thanks technotiger.

will check out amp & if no joy will get a sound card. am on nights at mo so will be in a day or two.

will get back to you if any probs.

thanks for your help, BHD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…