Lost the Sound on my Laptop - HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

buster99 20:56 22 Feb 08

My laptop (Compaq Pressario) used to have Windows media centre O/S installed. Due to a different problem I needed to install Windows XP Pro. This has solved the original problem with regards a wireless adapter but I no longer have any sound !!!!!. I'm unable to see in the device manager if there is a sound card. I'm not familiar with the internal workings of laptops. The computer still makes the critical error beep which I guess comes from the motherboard. There is no longer any volume symbol in the bottom right next to the clock either. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I've tried driver updates but it tells me that there is no device ???

tullie 21:03 22 Feb 08

Have you been to Control Panel and checked System/Device Manager?Did you download your XP Drivers?

buster99 21:11 22 Feb 08

Txs for the reply, as far as i can see the device manager shows no sound card which is the part that is confusing me. I've tried downloading drivers but it states there is no suitable hardware etc....... The laptop worked fine for 15 mths then overnight the problem occurred with wireless aspect which required me to install Windows XP PRO. Since then the only noise i get us the critical error motherboard noise. Its been suggested I check the bios, to see if sound is enabled, however I've no ideas how to approach this.... I've tried downloading drivers from HP - but all have proved fruitless

tullie 21:18 22 Feb 08

As far as im aware,and i may be corrected,you will need xp drivers,dont know answer if you cant get them from your manufacturers website,what happens when you try,have had a look and there appears to be drivers,though dont know what your model is.

Ashrich 22:04 22 Feb 08

What was the problem that required XP Pro to be installed instead of Windows Media Centre ?

Ashley

woodchip 22:06 22 Feb 08

reload drivers from laptop maker site

tullie 22:19 22 Feb 08

He says he tried that Woodchip

skidzy 22:29 22 Feb 08

To enter the bios on your machine click here this may take a few attempts.

Device manager says no sound device,what does SIW say click here ?

Under Hardware / Devices / expand the + key / Sound video game controller...anything listed here ?

Also post back everything under motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…