Lost Sound Card

pauljb 09:39 16 May 07

I have a Dell Dimension C521 with a sound card on the motherboard.

I keep getting error messages when trying to run anything requiring sound. I have look in "device manager" under hardware and it is not listing a sound card??

What do I do?

Thanks in advance

Ho-Lin-Sok 11:15 16 May 07

Should be in sound,video and game controllers. What do the messages say.

pauljb 13:28 16 May 07

It has "Audio Codecs" (what ever that is, but no sound card?

Any ideas.......

Ho-Lin-Sok 13:55 16 May 07

You probably have onboard sound, may need to check in BIOS that it's turned on.

Technotiger 13:58 16 May 07

Hi, it looks as if you only have on-board sound (built-in to your motherboard), to enable the on-board sound you need to go into the BIOS. To open the Main BIOS Menu you should restart your computer and during the restart hold down the Del key on your keyboard - Main BIOS Menu should then appear on your screen. Carefully read what you see on the Menu and notice that near the bottom it explains quite clearly which keys you should press in order to navigate through the Menu. Navigate your way through to Peripherals, where you should see something like AC97 or similar - this is your on-board Sound, beside which you will see Disable/Enable, make sure it shows Enabled and then press F10 on your keyboard to save and exit the BIOS Menu. When your computer finishes booting you should then have sound through your speakers.

pauljb 09:06 17 May 07

I went into the BIOS and under “Onboard Devices” it has “Integrated Audio”, this is set to ON. I have switched it off, rebooted, then switched it back on and rebooted and it still hasn’t helped.

In “Device Manager” under the heading “Sound, video and game controllers” it lists:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

Any Ideas?
Thanks

birdface 09:20 17 May 07

Try,Control Panel,Administrative tools,Services,Scroll down untill you get to Windows Audio,Make sure it is set to automatic.

pauljb 09:25 17 May 07

Thanks

Have checked and it is set to automatic.

Any other ideas?

birdface 09:26 17 May 07

Under heading sounds,You dont seem to have an Audio Driver,Like Technotiger say's you should have something like AC97 Audio Driver.

pauljb 09:44 17 May 07

What do I need to do?

Technotiger 09:48 17 May 07

BIOS wording does vary slightly depending on the mobo's, but On-board Sound is invariable shown as AC97 Audio, possible under Advanced - Chipset Settings, with the options Auto/Enable/Disable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…