Lost sound

March Wind 16:34 PM 05 Jun 12

I have lost the sound. The plugs are in. I have started to download windows SpeedMaxPC setup wizard. Is this a good idea?

KRONOS the First 16:46 PM 05 Jun 12
  KRONOS the First 16:47 PM 05 Jun 12

You would do better to just re-install your sound drivers again,that normally sorts it.

Woolwell 16:49 PM 05 Jun 12

To start with the obvious - is the sound muted?

SpeedMaxPC is probably not a good idea.

March Wind 16:52 PM 05 Jun 12

Yes the plugs are in. How do I install the sound drivers please

Woolwell 16:56 PM 05 Jun 12

But have you checked that the sound is not muted? Look in the system tray, bottom right, for a volume symbol. Does that have a cross through it? Open it and check what volume it is et at.

What is your OS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 PM 05 Jun 12
  1. check sound settings in control panel - muted or set to minimum?

2. check in device manager for and errors against your sound card /chip?

3. if your speakers are powered - are they switched on?

4. try a set or earphones in the speaker socket to discount faulty speakers.

March Wind 17:15 PM 05 Jun 12

The sound isn't muted. Maybe PC is on the blink. the screen keeps moving. I have XP

lotvic 17:21 PM 05 Jun 12

stay away from SpeedMaxPC you don't need it. It's 'Free to try (Free scan, fix-disabled) $29.99 to buy' According to the reviews and other forums 'Anything it purports to 'fix' can be fixed in a safer and Free way' Also it finds problems that don't exist.

shellship 18:17 PM 05 Jun 12

I lost my sound having had to unplug all the cables and had probably put all the audio ones back in the wrong place (by mistake). My Realtek on-board audio is supposed to manage this but obviously got itself in a muddle. Had to call in my local guru who, having gone through all the usual checks downloaded the latest driver from the Realtek site. Magic, all is well. So the advice from Chronos is probably spot on.

March Wind 22:57 PM 05 Jun 12

Would you believe it. I was turning the sound up BUT I hadn't got it switched on. Thank you all for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11