Lost Sound!

K.D! 14:41 27 Jul 07

I've had my PC for a couple of years now and NEVER encountered any problems whatsoever. However, my sister has started messing about on the internet a lot lately and as a result, I've had a couple of problems with my computer. The first was losing the ability to stream/download anything. After spending an entire day searching through my PC and altering stuff, I finally managed to solve the problem.

Now, a couple of days later, my sis was doing her usual messing about and now Iseem to have lost all sound... there's not a peep out of the computer. I've checked the device manager and everything says it is functioning properly but still no sound. I've checked the sound control and nothing is muted. I've checked just about everything and nothing is rectifying the problem. So, I decided to try restoring my sound card which is Creative Sound Blaster Live!, but when I select the restore setting I get a message saying:

"There were some errors encountered while restoring your soundcards settings. Some settings could not be restored"

I'm not sure if this is the problem or not but I really can't think of anything else to try.
Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks,

K.D!

alan2273 14:58 27 Jul 07

Have you tried reinstalling the origonal drivers for the soundcard.
If you have not got them, they can be downloaded from here.click here

HCOOH 15:02 27 Jul 07

You probably need to reinstall the soundcard software. Have you tried the autoupdate at creative
click here

HCOOH 15:04 27 Jul 07

Oops crossed post

K.D! 16:05 27 Jul 07

Yeah, I've already tried that but it say that I already have the newest version!

HCOOH 16:50 27 Jul 07

Have you tried removing all the creative software and reinstalling it. If you have a system restore point before the event it may work but not always, worth a try though before ripping it all out.

K.D! 17:35 27 Jul 07

Actually, someone mentioned this to me but I'm not very PC minded so I have no idea what a system restore point is and how to create one.

alan2273 18:04 27 Jul 07

To use system restore, click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore.
Then select restore to a previous time and click next, select a date previous to when the fault occured (only the dates in bold numbers can be selected) and click next and away you go.
When it has finished it will reboot your computer then you will have to wait a bit while it all loads.

K.D! 18:41 27 Jul 07

I've tried a System Restore but it hasn't done anything. I ran a diagnostic check on my sound software and it all game up green... not a problem apparently. I really don't know what else to do! Me and my band did a radio interview thats being aired tonight and, because it's not a local station, I can only listen to it on their website but it doesn't look like I'm going to get this sorted out in time :(

alan2273 19:28 27 Jul 07

Just a thought, If your motherboard has onboard sound, uninstall the creative drivers, take the card out, go into the bios and enable the onboard sound, then install the sound drivers from the motherboard CD.

HCOOH 23:13 27 Jul 07

To remove creative software
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced