LOST SOUND

novis 12:21 05 Jul 06

––

I have a Sony Vaio and use Windows XP home edition.

I have lost the sound my computer. It may merely be coincidental but I had inserted the Sony systems recovery CD-ROM to confirm information which it contained about a recent re-install.

I have tried the trouble-shooting options with no success. I have no systems sounds and the mute options are clear.

Any suggestions?

bof:) 12:30 05 Jul 06

If you have an Fn button on your keyboard, have you tried pressing it along with the F1-F12 buttons. This sometimes decreases and increases your sound.

Mike

novis 12:52 05 Jul 06

I have no sound WHATSOEVER including systems sounds, so although this tip is useful for future reference it has soi far only made the silence louder :-D

novis 12:59 05 Jul 06

Bizarrely I now seem to have systems sounds so this tip may have worked after all. Nothing through my main speakers, though, which do work becasuse they respond when I turn them on and off.

Curiously, when I reinstalled WINDOWS something affeced by cordless mouse. Maybe it's the MS Demon at work.

Suggestions?

Stuartli 13:06 05 Jul 06

You may have to reinstall the drivers for the onboard sound if you have thoroughly checked out the configuration (including the Volume panel, which may have had one or more inputs/outputs muted).

Re the mouse. If you go to Device Manager and uninstall the mouse before rebooting Windows should then reinstall the driver for its use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…