Lost 'show desktop' quick launch button

MoonChild22 20:15 02 May 03

Hi, can anyone help?? I loaded SimTown game into my computer and was running fine until I came to use the show desktop quick launch button on the task bar. The show desktop button had changed to a SimTown sound file, it has now dissapeared completely... I have tried to make shortcut but all that does is give me a window with all the icons of the desktop, but I want it to actually show the desktop. I know it will probably be something simple, but it annoying me!! HELP PLEASE!

LastChip 20:23 02 May 03

This can be done quite easily, but it varies with operating systems.

MoonChild22 20:28 02 May 03

I'm running Windows XP.

LastChip 20:44 02 May 03

I do not have it at home to work through the procedure.

Perhaps someone else can.

LastChip 20:57 02 May 03

You could boot your machine via the XP CD, and select the recovery option.

You may find XP will repair it for you.

beeuuem 21:08 02 May 03

Are you sure it has disappeared and is not just hidden? Have you tried increasing the size of the taskbar to show all the icons?

PSF 21:22 02 May 03

If you have lost it do a search for show in C:windows/system32 when it finds the icon copy and paste it to the desktop. Then drag it into the quick launch.

MoonChild22 21:35 02 May 03

Yes, it is gone, the file type was changed to .scf and would not change back. Now all it does is take me to the window with all of the icons.

PSF 21:39 02 May 03

WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

That is the full link to the show desktop icon launcher. Did you find it ok.

LastChip 21:59 02 May 03

Having checked out the procedure in Win ME and Win2K, I can confirm it works just fine.

Just slight differences in the required paths (and that was the part I wasn't sure of in XP!).

MoonChild22 23:05 02 May 03

YAY! I have it back... I had to do a search for 'show' like PSF said, as it wasn't in WINDOWS/ ~etc~ But I finally have it back, thanks guys! :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…