Lost Restore Points and Ramdisk - test case

bill sykes 18:28 17 Mar 04

Hi,
I have just installed RamDisk and have encountered the problem of losing restore points that has been mentioned many times in other threads.

One scenario that appears to cause them to vanish is to simply create a new folder on Ramdisk.Doing this creates the System Event/Error

"The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000023' while processing the file 'test' on the volume 'Ramdisk'. It has stopped monitoring the volume."

after which all RPs vanish.

Not sure if I'm likely to create many folders in this way, but I'm surprised that it causes this.Is anyone able to confirm this please?
Thanks.

hugh-265156 18:32 17 Mar 04

if you read fully those ramdisk threads then you should know that you will lose all the restore points.

the ramdisk is too small to hold system restore information.thats why it happens.there is no fix.

only way is to remove the ramdisk.disable system restore,re enable it and restart the computer again.

windows will start once again making the restore points.but only if you remove the ramdisk.

hugh-265156 18:36 17 Mar 04

click here page three onwards.

hugh-265156 18:39 17 Mar 04

only golfpro did not seem to have a problem??

I have not noticed any improvement since installing Ramdisk, and in the light of the problems mentioned I would like to uninstal it. But how?

hugh-265156 19:43 17 Mar 04

via device manager [email protected]@m

right click it and uninstall it.

change your temp folder back to default in tools/internet options again.

disable system restore.

restart the computer.

re enable system restore.

done.

Thanks, pasted into Wordpad.

In internet options, internet properties, temporary internet files, settings, current location is set to Ramdisk, I can't see an option to change to default. :-(

bill sykes 21:01 17 Mar 04

"the ramdisk is too small to hold system restore information.thats why it happens.there is no fix."

That's the bit I missed, thanks for pointing it out. It's a shame to have to remove RamDisk, but I feel more comfortable knowing the RPs are going to be there if I need them.

Thanks again.

When i right click on the RAM Disk in device manager all i get is a general and properties tag. No visible way to delete the RAM Disk. Am i doing something wrong?

Cheers Duncan

Ignore..i am an idiot. Had to expand on list

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…