lost program folders (short cuts)

reddwarfcrew 22:35 11 Jan 03
  reddwarfcrew 22:35 11 Jan 03

I've managed to loose all my shortcuts from the Start/Programs bit (its a long story!!)

Now I have no problems getting all the shortcuts back for the progs that I've intsalled, but its the accessory folder that I'm having problems with (ie the one with defrag, calc, paint etc).

I have found some, but can't find them all.

Does anyone know how I can get it back, or could someone mail me the accesories part of their start menu?

jazzypop 00:41 12 Jan 03

Do a search for calc.exe, paint.exe etc - I think they are in Windows\System32. Once you have found them, make sure your folder view is set to Details, click on the File Type header, and all your applications will be grouped. The names are pretty self-explanatory, and from memory they all show the appropriate icons.

If there are any specific accessories that you can't find, post back

Eastender 01:23 12 Jan 03

The Accessories Shortcut folder is at Windows>Start Menu>Programs.

Any help?

reddwarfcrew 11:16 12 Jan 03

Sorry, but thats the problem. Due to a system problem, windows decided to delete that folder!

reddwarfcrew 11:20 12 Jan 03

Thanks, I can find most there, but system file checker was accessed thru a another file that seemed to group sfc.exe, sysedit.exe etc together.

Could someone zip up their C:\windows\start menu\accesories folder and mail it to me please (win98 se)?

MAJ 11:20 12 Jan 03

Is System Restore any help to you? Restore to a point prior to the problem occurring.

VoG™ 11:21 12 Jan 03

W98 doesn't have System Restore

MAJ 11:25 12 Jan 03

I know VoG™, but we posted at the same time, reddwarfcrew hadn't stated which OS he/she was using, hence the "is it any good to you". Win 98SE does have Registry Restore though. Scanreg /restore from a command prompt. :-)

reddwarfcrew 11:26 12 Jan 03

I tried scanreg /restore, but it didn't help.

When the problem occured, it deleted the whole of C:\windows\start menu, all favourites, all desktop shortcuts and all my .dbx email files!!

(Narrowed the problem down to my HP scanner not working via a USB hub, i think/hope).

Fortunatley I have my email backed up elsewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…