Lost password - lost xp key

sneakerman 21:03 18 Mar 08

A friend of mine has been locked out of his PC by his children creating an Administrator password and then forgetting it. There is an XP key on a label on the side of the PC but I have just tried installing it into a virtual PC with my XP Home disc but it was an invalid key - I'm guessing because of a mismatch between his Key and my CD - any ideas?

brundle 21:06 18 Mar 08

Reset the password with this; click here

sneakerman 21:27 18 Mar 08

Tried that and (all) the accounts are now unlocked - but when I boot into XP it still requires a password!

skidzy 21:37 18 Mar 08

Boot into safemode by tapping F8 on startup and ;

Start > Run > and type

control userpasswords2

and enter

Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password for this computer

brundle 21:37 18 Mar 08

Have you tried just press Return? Or press Ctrl-Alt-Del, type Administrator in place of the User name and leave the password field blank, then remove the passwords for other accounts from Control Panel/User Accounts

brundle 21:37 18 Mar 08

Have you tried just press Return? Or press Ctrl-Alt-Del, type Administrator in place of the User name and leave the password field blank, then remove the passwords for other accounts from Control Panel/User Accounts

sneakerman 21:53 18 Mar 08

Sorry just checked it and there are 5 accounts and they are all showing *BLANK password* but as I say it boots up and requires a password to continue, strangely it requires a password for an account that is not one of the 5 that have blank passwords.

Brundle, tried your suggestions and Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up a different account log on but it won't work with a blank password - neither will Administrator.

Skidzy, I'm having difficulty booting into safe mode, it's hanging as all the System32 drivers are scrolling past.

brundle 22:09 18 Mar 08

The password reset disk has always worked for me so far....

Does it hang at `mup.sys`? See the last post here; click here

woodchip 22:15 18 Mar 08

You need to create a new account in Safe Mode

sneakerman 22:21 18 Mar 08

It's just getting worse!

It wouldn't boot in either normal or safe mode, normal mode it ran chkdsk and hung at 32% of stage 2, in safe mode it hung at agp440.sys (I think) but I kept re-booting and eventually it got past 32% and got all the way to a password prompt.

I have now tried booting into safe mode but that requires a password before I can
Start > Run >

Strangely it comes up with 2 accounts in safe mode Administrator and Mattie, if I attempt to log into Administrator and then I Ctrl-Alt-Del the pop-up window is for Adminstrator but if I do it for Mattie the pop-up window is for Cassie. Cassie is one of the 5 accounts with a blank password - but a blank password won't let me in.

I'm baffled

sneakerman 22:23 18 Mar 08

Just seen your suggestion Woodchip, trying that now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5