lost password for laptop startup

geisha girl 10:43 28 Nov 04

i have taken possession of a laptop at work, but it is password protected on start-up, and there is no-one with the password left at the office. Can I get the password back by disconnecting a battery somewhere- not sure whre the battery is, it can't be the main battery as you can interchange them I believe, so anyone out there with the info, please

Kegger 11:35 28 Nov 04

password protection on start up is controlled by the cmos battery.to reset the password you need to open the laptop up and look at the motherboard, on it you will find a jumper usually marked as 'pword' remove jumper restart laptop and turn it off again and then replace jumper password is protection is then removed

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 28 Nov 04

Is this initial startup password or windows logon password (press ctrl+alt+del to log on)?

If inital startup then as per Kegger's post.

If windows logon (2000 or XP) you may need an administrator from work to log on initially and then change the password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…