lost partition on XP

wobbler 18:29 08 Jul 05

y PC, running XP, just died. Chkdsk says unrecoverable disk error and when I boot from my XP CD, the partition is shown as unknown. Is there any way I can save my data or repair the partition?

woodchip 18:33 08 Jul 05

You could try starting with XP disc and run recover console Fix /MBR

wobbler 18:59 08 Jul 05

still same problem after running FIXMBR.

Dorsai 19:05 08 Jul 05

Has the PC been making any unusual clicking noises recently.

Ditto, have programs been taking longer to open?

Have you recently moved/banged into it?

Power cuts? Lightning?

Anything out of the ordinary, regarding the PC, or the electric?

wobbler 19:07 08 Jul 05

NOTHING UNUSUAL AND no detioration in performance

woodchip 19:11 08 Jul 05

Download Seatools from click here put floppy in comp double click download, after it creates disc restart with disc in comp and check drive

wobbler 19:22 08 Jul 05

Downloaded that but when I double click it tries to burn an ISO DVD!! What am I doing wrong?

woodchip 19:24 08 Jul 05

It should work with a floppy disc. check to see if there is a readme file in it

woodchip 19:29 08 Jul 05

Read this middle one click here

wobbler 19:46 08 Jul 05

I was downloading the CD version. When I downloaded the floppy version and ran the tests the results indicated a file system errors that the test procedure was unable to fix, getting a little closer but any suggestions as to what to do next?

woodchip 19:52 08 Jul 05

As you are XP it's more difficult than 98 to repair. I am not full sure but you need full XP disc start with disc choose install the press R. As far as I know to repair XP. This is why I use a Image program . Acronis True Image so I can put the working system back in just a few minutes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…