lost partition

CutNpaste 11:40 15 Sep 06

hi i recently instaled another copy of windows on another partition. I have other partiotions that have media files in them.
now i can wiew those partitions with my old windows but cannot view them with the new one.

plz help!!

MichelleC 11:57 15 Sep 06

Are both xp and NTFS?

CutNpaste 17:21 15 Sep 06

yes

CutNpaste 19:36 18 Sep 06

help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:01 18 Sep 06

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

CutNpaste 23:18 18 Sep 06

im not talking about a folder but im talking about the whole partition.
It prompts me 'would u like to format this drive'.
but in my older XP OS, i can view and access that drive with all of its pertitions.

Input Overload 23:37 18 Sep 06

Have you installed SP2 on your new Windows installation?

woodchip 23:46 18 Sep 06

What I think I would do, Is backup all your files, then clear the drive and do a fresh install. Presuming you do have full XP cd

CutNpaste 19:50 19 Sep 06

i have SP2 installed.
Plus i do not want to do another fresh install as this one is a fresh install.
i think the partiotions in the drive are not being read but what do i do to resolve it??

ed-0 20:03 19 Sep 06

" but in my older XP OS, i can view and access that drive with all of its partitions. "

So are you dual booting with two versions of XP?

If you are, use the one

" i can view and access that drive with all of its pertitions. "

and modify the boot.ini file, so you just boot from that one. You can then format the partition with the newer version of XP.

Even with that, woodchips idea of saving everything and totally wiping the disk and rebuilding the partitions is the best idea.

CutNpaste 20:57 19 Sep 06

no no!
i dont want to format that drive cos it is accessable from one OS (yes its a dual boot) but from the other one its not, which means that the partitions have not been registered in the new OS and cannot be viewed while it can be viewed by the older OS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced