Lost partition

misog 10:39 19 Jun 06

After using some hard drive cleaning software it has removed the partitions on the hard drive. How do I restore them.
Its a old Windows ME PC which boots from a recovery floppy which appears to have DOS on it but I only get error messages in response to the prompt.
I have downloaded boot software but I can only put it on CD and the pc wont boot from that.
I will be giving the pc away but would like to get it going first. Advice please.

Belatucadrus 10:49 19 Jun 06

"some hard drive cleaning software"

Could you be a bit more specific, it's hard to see how a disk cleaner would delete a partition, unless you've erased the entire hard drive. Tell us what did it and maybe somebody will have some idea what to do next.

johnny2344 10:56 19 Jun 06

ahh nice

misog 11:41 19 Jun 06

The software is called "Dariks Boot and Nuke".

The problem is that I get the A prompt when in DOS but if I try Fdisk or any command all I get is "Bad command or file name"

Belatucadrus 14:50 19 Jun 06

You'll need to format the drive :-
"Restart the computer with the floppy in the A: drive. At the A: prompt, type Format: C. Answer "yes" to the warning"
click here &
click here may be useful.

woodchip 14:53 19 Jun 06

Testdisk click here

woodchip 14:54 19 Jun 06

PS I have used this so I know it works

Belatucadrus 14:56 19 Jun 06

click here The ME version of Ultimate boot disk may also be of use.

Belatucadrus 15:03 19 Jun 06

Testdisk looks interesting, but I doubt it's recover something that's been nuked. I suppose it could depend on the number of overwrites used.

Best of luck.

woodchip 15:26 19 Jun 06

Yes it does

misog 16:35 19 Jun 06

But whatever software I use it still has to be on floppy as I cant get it to boot from CD.I was going to give the pc away but now I think I will just bin it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5