Lost OE address book

Jim Thing 13:12 16 Apr 06

I've been following Shine77's current 'lost e-mails' thread with interest, as I'm suffering from what seems to be a very similar problem, having apparently lost my entire e-mail archive and most of my address book. Not wishing to hijack someone else's thread, however, I thought I'd start one of my own.

Thanks to the excellent help offered to Shine77 by the friendly experts in these parts, I've located the stored backups of my e-mail archive, which I thought had gone for ever. It turns out that I had unintentionally altered the path to the OE Store Folder from C:\Documents and Settings\[my initials]\... etc. to C:\Documents and Settings\[my name]\...etc. When I drilled down the correct path I was greatly relieved to see that my e-mail archive had not vanished into cyberspace after all.

Unfortunately I haven't (yet?) had the same sort of luck with my missing Address Book. The wab.exe file in each of my stored backups contains only about 10% of the addresses I had expected to find, and so my question now is this: is it possible that my complete Address Book is still around somewhere and, if so, where should I start looking for it?

All suggestions gratefully received.

remind 13:24 16 Apr 06

Try looking for *.wa~ files

Jim Thing 13:36 16 Apr 06

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the search drew a complete blank.

remind 13:50 16 Apr 06

I don't use OE myself, but it appears it places the address book in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\ for windows 98 or ME, and c:\Documents and Settings\>your account name<\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\ for XP, does your search include hidden folders and system files? quickest way to search is via command prompt, type cd\ to go to the root of the drive, type
dir *.wab /s /ah
to search the entire drive

remind 13:51 16 Apr 06

my mistake, dont need the /ah
dir *.wab /s
then locate the folder with explorer

Jim Thing 14:10 16 Apr 06

Many thanks, remind. Just what I wanted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…