Lost OE address book.

Drum 16:35 31 May 04

I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend who's PC crashed the other day after he downloaded & ran a programme called Spybot.
When he starts his PC & clicks his name to open up his portion of the pc he shares with his Wife, the screen turns blue & tells him there is a problem & it will be dumping all physical memory, what ever that means.

He appears to have lost his OE contact list in the process, and hasn't any revert software loaded.
Is the addresss book retrievable at all, and if so how?

Any help proffered would be much appreciated.

VoG II 16:40 31 May 04

Several possibilities:

1) Run Spybot again and click the Recovery button to go back.

2) If Windows ME or XP System Restore.

3) Search for *.wab to find the address book.

It isn't clear whether he can actually use the PC or not. I'm assuming he can or how would he know the address book was lost.

Drum 16:49 31 May 04

Thanks for the fast response VoG.
I haven't been to the PCA site for quite a while, but it's nice to see some of the old names are still there, doing sterling work for those in PC hell.

To be honest I don't even know what OS he's using, but have asked him.
Possibility 1. What is the "recovery" button?

VoG II 16:51 31 May 04

The Recovery button is on the Spybot Window. Clicking on it lists all the changes that Spybot has made, with the option to undo them. I presume he must have removed something using Spybot to cause a crash.

Stuartli 17:29 31 May 04

Also see this thread:

click here

Drum 21:30 31 May 04

Thanks for the responses.
I now understand he has windows XP home ed.,
and I have run (via e-mail) your various suggested options to him.
I've also discovered a lot of his wife's "stuff" as he puts it, has vanished also!
He's not terribly computer literate unfortunately, the thought of using explorer to find a file quite lost him, and he lives about 800 miles from me, so there's no chance of me getting "hands on" to try to help.
Will keep you posted, and thanks once again for all your help.

Stuartli 10:11 01 Jun 04

800 miles away? Is it somewhere on the Continent?

Drum 14:25 01 Jun 04

Might as well be, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm near Aberdeen, and he's in Poole Dorset.

OK .......slight exaggeration on the numbers.

No feedback from him yet, but I'll let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…