Lost Network Connection icons

montyburns 10:03 26 Feb 04

Using XP Home

I can't find anything that relates to my dialup connection in Control Panel > Network Connections

Also the little icon to show I'm connected in the Notification Area on the taskbar is not present. This means the only way to log off the 'net is to log off the PC or pull the phone plug!

I've tried setting up the taskbar stuff to show the icon on the bar but doesn't work. Also tried going into Internet Options > Connections > Settings > Advanced > Disconnect when connection no longer needed - and again, no joy.

I've set up another connection in Network Connections which HAS appeared - only to disappear after I log off and then back onto the PC.

Can't use System Restore to get it back, as it vanished after I'd got a virus trapped in the restore file - and thus had to switch of SR to get rid of it.

It's driving me mad! Often I'll log off and forget to click "yes" when PC asks if I want to end the connection, resulting in hours spent with the phone unavailable to callers

Is there a registry setting which can fix this? It seems that nothing I've tried will sort it. I know there's loads of REALLY clever folks out there and surely someone must have the answer..? That's my challenge to you all anyway!!

Thanks to whoever comes up with the answer and saves my sanity!!

Dave

platty100 14:27 26 Feb 04

this might be of help
click here;en-us;825826&Product=winxp

platty100 14:30 26 Feb 04

click here;en-us;825826&Product=winxp

platty100 14:31 26 Feb 04

can not get it to copy all the url
go here
click here;action=display;num=1077541706

montyburns 17:02 26 Feb 04

Thanks for these - some interesting links (and some scarey stuff too!)

Will be giving them a go tonight!!

Cheers

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…