Lost my copy of website due to reformat ??

STEVE71163 11:12 14 Oct 03

I had to re format my hard drive yesterday and like a fool had not copied my website onto disc. I have obviously got it with my server. Is their any way i can download it from my sever and if so how? I use Frontpage 2002.

Many Thanks

PªūĽ ? ♂ 11:53 14 Oct 03

You should be able to download the pages again with an FTP client. My choice would be filezilla, Its free and easy to use, Just log into the site and download all the pages. I believe there is a way to do it with frontpage,But I am not familiar with using the program. Filezilla can be found click here

MichelleC 16:10 14 Oct 03

I have done it in FP, but it was a long time ago. I think it's 'open web' 'look in' ftp locations and enter u/n and password.

Taran 17:02 14 Oct 03

Start up FrontPage.

Just below the File menu there is a small icon for new documents with a drop down arrow at the right side of it. Click on the drop down arrow on this icon and click on new Web Site.

Give your new site a name and location (if you want to change it from the default name and location) and click on Import Web Site Wizard.

Follow all prompts to import your files from the web server version of your site.

Job done.

If you get a dropped import or the process fails for some reason, you can create a blank or empty web on your hard drive then import individual pages into it from your site. To do this click on File, Import then choose From Web. Once more, follow all prompts and off you go.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Taran

Taran 17:03 14 Oct 03

If you come unstuck in any way email me and I'll run the import for you (if you give me the URL) and email you the complete site as a Zip file.

Taran 17:13 14 Oct 03

If need be, you can open up your site from its source on the web server using FrontPage.

Note: before we go any further with this one, I don't condone or recommend it since if you get a dropped connection it can seriously mess up your live site, but if all else fails it may be worth a shot.

You need your FrontPage publish to web username and password for this method - these are the ones supplied to you from your web host.

Click on Start, click Run and type in the following:

frontpg.exe http :// www. your site address.com

Remove all spaces between http and .com but make sure you leave a space after frontpg.exe

This opens the site address you specified in FrontPage for live editing but as soon as FrontPage opens up you get the username and password prompts from it. Enter them which allows you, the site owner, to have access to its contents and off you go.

You can then, if you choose, copy the root folder of your site to your desktop or elsewhere else, since its contents are displayed in the left panel of FrontPage just like a local site would be, always assuming you have the file list view switched on in your View menu.

Hope this helps.

T

STEVE71163 07:07 15 Oct 03

Thanks for replys. I have managed to get it back.:0) It has been copied now as well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…