Lost my CD drive, Help!

daish_uk 19:27 06 Jan 06

The CD drive of my thinkpad 600E has disappeared from both the my computer and device manager. It also will not open! Please help!

Big Elf 19:34 06 Jan 06

It's possibly failed. Is it under warranty?

daish_uk 19:44 06 Jan 06

No it is quite old! I think I might have reomoved one of the IDE controllers? There were two identical things called 'standard bus mastering IDE hard disk controller' in the device manager. I disabled one of these (thanks too bad advice from someone), and when it went it took the CD with it?

I'm using win 98SE BTW

Thanks

Big Elf 20:06 06 Jan 06

When you reboot it should have detected the IDE controller. Did you disable it or uninstall it?

daish_uk 20:14 06 Jan 06

Disabled it. When i reboot nothing happens, if i remove the drive and replace still nothing happens?

woodchip 20:17 06 Jan 06

You need to go back into Device Manager and Enable what you disabled

daish_uk 20:23 06 Jan 06

I don't know how? I'm not sure I can as there were two of them. I disabled one of them and it disappeared taking the CD drive with it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 06 Jan 06

Show/Conceal Hidden Devices in Device Manager
When accessing Device Manager there may be hidden devices that are not displayed. This tweak forces all devices to be displayed.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
Data Type: REG_SZ [String Value] // Value Name: DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
Modify/Create the Value Name [DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES] according to the Value Data listed below.
Value Data: [1 = Show Devices / 0 = Hide Devices]

Exit Registry and Reboot

daish_uk 20:45 06 Jan 06

There is no environment under session manager?

Thanks

woodchip 20:49 06 Jan 06

Right Click My Computer Hardware Device Manager check IDE/ATA Atapi controllers

Big Elf 20:51 06 Jan 06

I suspect Fruit Bat knows more about this than me but can you go into Control Panel then uninstall it then reboot. Hopefully it should then be re-detected. However it still could have failed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…