Lost msconfig

The Bard 07:32 14 Jul 08

I have XP SP3. When I try to run msconfig I get error message "cannot find".

Ronnie268 07:38 14 Jul 08

I've had this before - very annoying. scanreg disappeared ofor a while but now it works perfectly.

Press Ctrl+R or open the run dialog box. Then type services.msc and see itf it comes up.

If it does, that's a workaround for the moment, but if not, check to see that no programs you've installed block it. (Check on the website)
Sometimes antivirus, firewall, or cleaning software can block it and replace it with something in their frontend.

The Bard 08:05 14 Jul 08

Yes, services.msc opens ok.

Ditch999 12:40 14 Jul 08

Enable View "hidden files and folders" and "Protected Operating System files" then go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache and see if msconfig is there. If it is, double click it to see if it works.

The Bard 14:00 14 Jul 08

Yes it is and yes it does! Also appear to have lost 'Help' function.

mfletch 14:13 14 Jul 08

Is this any help,

Creates usable copies of REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager

click here

This small VB 6 utility will create a usable backup copy of Taskmgr.exe, MSConfig.exe and Regedit.EXE in a new folder, called C:\EmergencyUtils.

The new copies will be named Copy_of_Taskmgr.exe, Copy_of_MSConfig.exe and Copy_of_Regedit.com.

Many virus programs will intercept these programs, based on their original file name, and prevent them from running. The alternate copies will not encounter this problem. Simply navigate to the C:\EmergencyUtils folder and double click the file you need to run.

Download

click here

The Bard 14:28 14 Jul 08

Thanks, that runs from file now, but still no 'Help' service.

oldbeefer2 14:41 14 Jul 08

I also have lost 'help', so wait with interest.....

mfletch 14:45 14 Jul 08

What make of computer do you have as you can download a new help and support for Compaq {HP}

The Bard 14:55 14 Jul 08

I have a fairly old computer made for me locally my company no longer in existance.

Ditch999 15:20 14 Jul 08

click here for a tutorial

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…