Lost MS Word

SWEENEY TOD 22:25 03 Jun 08

Suddenly i have lost the use of MS Word (OFFICE 2000) even though Excel, Access, Powerpoint etc. are ok. Run the Office disc to repair or re-install and i get the following message 'UNABLE TO ACCESS CONFIGURATION FOR MICROSOFT PERSONAL WEB SERVER'. My Broadband etc.and internet are fine. The screen freezes with a blank sheet with no overhead task bar . Any ideas !!

MAT ALAN 22:49 03 Jun 08

Suggestion it is a frontpage related issue
or
Try uninstalling and reinstalling Personal Web Server through Add/Remove Programs.

SWEENEY TOD 23:08 03 Jun 08

Thanks MAT ALAN. Personal Web Server is not showing in Add/Remove programs. Will it be part of someyhing else ?

MAT ALAN 23:19 03 Jun 08

NO if its not in add/remove you do not have it, have you tried uninstalling the front page component
of office 2000 there is supposed to be an issue with the server extensions of front page which generate the error message...

If you have the discs for office 2000 uninstall and a reinstall may help...

Simsy 23:26 03 Jun 08

can find the default Word template, which is called normal.dot

Word faults are often caused by this file being corrupt. Either rename it to something else, (so you can restore it if it isn't the caue of the problem), or delete it.

When you then start Word again it will create a new normal.dot and, hopefully, all will be well.

Note that if this does work you will have lost any customisations you might have made to the default template!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

lotvic 00:05 04 Jun 08

go to Start>Run>
type in
winword.exe /a
click on OK
note: there is a space between e and /

does Word open okay now?
(there is more to fix, including normal.dot - as per Simsy has said - but need to know if above works first)

SWEENEY TOD 20:20 04 Jun 08

Lotvic
Done as you say and gained access to OFFICE 2000 files such as IES, MSI, PFILES,SP,SQL, SYSTEM, SYSTEM95, SYSTEMNT, WINDOWS, DATA1 MSOWC, READ ME, SET UP,(showing picture of system), SET UP (SHOWING ? MARK).

brundle 20:22 04 Jun 08
  brundle 20:27 04 Jun 08

If you have the CD, go to Add Remove Programs, click Office 2000, click Add Remove features, go through the menus till you find Server Extensions and untick them. Untick any apps you don't use too, most Office standard installs include everything and the kitchen sink.

SWEENEY TOD 21:00 04 Jun 08

Brundle
Unticked as you stated but no different, Task manager states not responding. The tick box was ticked but shaded. Tried with un-shaded tick but computer would not accept it. All this became a problem when i tried to download the new viewer in Ancestry.co.uk and that article froze. I wasn't ising word at the time. Looks like i might have to recover computer from scratch using ACER BUILD UP DISCS. I HAVE HAD TO DO THIS NOW 3 TIMES IN LAST 18 MONTHS !!

brundle 21:24 04 Jun 08

No Office install discs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…