'Lost' microphone after accidentally disabling it!

musigal86 23:20 06 Aug 08

I've been trying to use a conversion kit to record from audio cassette on to my laptop, and as it wasn't working, I followed their troubleshooting guide which led me to the settings for the microphone/input, and I accidentally clicked 'disable this device' (Realtek microphone I think it said) - I now can't find it to enable it again, what have I done?! It's not listed anywhere, only the speakers.

(And once I find the microphone again, if anyone has any idea how to change the 'mic' setting to 'line-in' for this recording please do say also, as I'm on Vista and the instructions I have are only relevant for XP and don't correlate with what I see!)

I'm sure this is really basic but I'm struggling to see the light! Thank you!

Jim_F 23:36 06 Aug 08

The Vista mixer controls are better hidden than XP - right click on the Speaker icon in the task bar and select recording devices - whichever you select as default will be the active one. On my laptop the Mic is only available if its plugged in !

If your conversion includes hardware then this may give you a line input but most laptops only have hardware support for Mic in themselves.

Ashrich 23:40 06 Aug 08

Have a look in Device Manager under the Sound Video and Game Controllers . Control Panel / System , top right click on Device Manager , it may well be there and showing as disabled , right click and " enable " and hopefully that should do it .

Ashley

musigal86 15:34 09 Aug 08

It's not there when I go to Device Manager/SVG controllers, just a generic 'Realtek Audio' that says enabled already (is this the speakers?).

If I go to recording devices it says 'no audio devices are installed' - so how can I reinstall if I can't find it?!

Thank you for your help!

eedcam 18:41 09 Aug 08

Have you tried a system restore to before you tinkerd .Also why use a conversion kit ?to transfer audio you just need the software Ie Audacity which is free and a cable fromyour deck to line in

musigal86 14:40 14 Aug 08

If I do a system restore am I likely to lose things?

When I say 'conversion kit' - the kit is the cable and Audacity!

ninjaNoe 18:47 15 Mar 09

hey just to let you know. go to the sounds window, and into the Recording Tab. Once inside it, right click the area where the mic was before, and click (SHOW DISABLED ITEMS) and that should show you your mic. then right clik it to Enable it and your done. good luck

Stuartli 20:59 15 Mar 09

If you double clock on the Volume icon>Options>Properties, check that the Mike box is ticked in Playback and/or Record.

The Realtek Audio (presumably on-board sound) will be your Default Sound Device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…