Lost Memory

Train driver 20:52 13 Apr 05

I have just upgraded an Acer V72MA motherboard with 2x128mb PC100 SDRAM which the manual says it can take. Problem is bios shows 2x64mb and windows is showing 130mb. Where is the missing 128mb memory or is there a motherboard fault. (Removing either module still shows 64mb so it cant be memory fault and they are new Kingstons)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:02 13 Apr 05

some older boards only read one side of the memory chips.

your memory chips are probably dual side 64 + 64 = 128.

Expain the situation to kinston and they will swap them for single sided chips

Giggle n' Bits 21:04 13 Apr 05

recognise your new memory correctly or the Memory is not fitted correctly.

When fitting the memory the White Gates must click when giving the memory a good firm press down. If you look carefully also there are nothces on the side of the Memory DIMMS which the Gates should notch in.

Don't know if this site helps but a full spec of your motherboard is here. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:17 13 Apr 05

Looking at the spec supplied by Chip Bitt,

Your board should read double sided memory chips.

Train driver 22:04 13 Apr 05

The spec says either double or single sided and I have taken them in/out and swapped them round but still the same, however when looking again I found I have been supplied with PC133 instead of PC100. Could that be the problem.

zarobian 22:37 13 Apr 05

PC133 will not work in the motherboard design for PC100 plus you cannot mix these together.

Totally-braindead 22:49 13 Apr 05

PC133 will work in a motherboard but only at PC100 speed. You can also mix them if the memory is compatible ie the correct latency but it will only run at the lowest speed.

Train driver 23:44 13 Apr 05

Looks like I will have to get them changed to see if that cures the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now