Lost ME

Liza 13:14 20 Sep 03

I cannot log on to my computer. I use Millenium Edition os. Without reading the labels on my set of 5 floppies (driver for ATI for win98)I upgraded the display driver on ME and now I cannot get anywhere. Startup disk has asked if there is HPFS or NTFS installed on my harddrive you will need tocreate a msdos boot partition to set up windows. How do I get either of them. They are I think not on my hd for I cannot even see the files, not even my scsi d and e drives. I should get g drive for ramdrive and h for setting up windows again but these dont appear. Scandisk scans in 1 sec and says everything is ok. Please help. Thanks
Liza

sattman 13:28 20 Sep 03

Can you boot up in safe mode, (usually tapping F5 key at boot up) and then use system restore?

JIM 13:44 20 Sep 03

Try to Start Windows Me in the safe mode then undo the upgraded to the display driver

Use the Ctrl key This can be a bit more difficult. You must press the Ctrl key just at the right time. Also, some computer manufacturers have inserted code so that this does not work or a different key must be used.

Use the Ctrl key
AS Windows is not running
If the computer is on, turn off the power.
Turn on the computer.
As the computer restarts, press and hold down the Ctrl key until the Windows ME startup menu appears.
Choose Safe mode from the startup menu, and then press Enter. Windows starts in Safe mode,or should.

If you can start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode Troubleshooter on the Safe Mode warning page. In Safe
Mode, you can use Windows Troubleshooting tools, such as System Restore, which are not available from this Startup disk.

If Windows ME Starts Only in Safe Mode
--------------------------------------
If you have followed the steps outlined in the Safe Mode
Troubleshooter are still unable to start Windows normally, do the following:

1. Close the Help file.

2. At the command prompt, type: scanreg /restore
and then press ENTER.

3. Select the most recent backup date before your changes, and then choose Restore.

If you try these steps and still cannot start normally

1. Restart your computer by using the Windows ME Startup disk,
select option 1 on the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

2. Close the Help file.

3. Try to reinstall Windows ME by following the instructions on your screen. for over the top install,(not formatting drive)

IMPORTANT If you have installed software that came with your hard disk, be sure to read the documentation that describes how to start your computer by using a floppy disk.

Liza 23:12 21 Sep 03

Sattman

Thank you. F5 key took me into safemode but I did not do windows restore. I restarted again and clicked Go Back on Norton SystemWorks. It asked which restore I wanted giving me a number of selections. And do you know I got back to my original state with no files lost. Far better than Windows!
Liza

Liza 23:18 21 Sep 03

Jim

Thanks for your response. As you will see from my reply to Sattman I have got windows back.

JIM 23:23 21 Sep 03

Glad to hear your sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…