Lost master boot record

jaimie 19:22 10 Jun 09

I'm tinkering with an old computer which was given to me minus a hard drive. I have installed a spare HDD and tried to install Windows XP from a spare licenced copy I have. The bios reports the master boot record to be missing and so starts to load from the CD. However, it only goes as far as choosing a partition and won't go any further. There is only unallocated space on this HD and the create comand doesn't work and neither does the delete command so I can't get windows to install. Anyone got a suggestion of how I can get over this hurdle please. The comp is not very old and irtran XP in a previous life where I work.

Regards

James

DieSse 19:46 10 Jun 09

"create comand" - ????

What create command where?

You mean when XP starts from the CD, you can't set up a partition and format it?

DieSse 19:48 10 Jun 09

Try downloading Killdisk and zeroing out the drive - then at least it will be in a known state, just like a new drive.

click here

jaimie 19:59 10 Jun 09

Hi DieSse, when windows is setting up and gets to the bit where it asks which partition to install it on there is only an "un-allocated" partition which it says is not XP compatible. the choices are delete it and create a new one but niether of these commands work in my set-up.

Regards

James

jaimie 20:01 10 Jun 09

How do I install Kildisk if I can't get into my HDD? I can easily download it on my other comp.

James

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:13 10 Jun 09

Run kill disk from a floppy.

jaimie 05:02 12 Jun 09

I have put in an old HDD which I had lying around which had a licenced copy of XP on it and it started right up and after activating with Microsoft everything is OK. Thanks for help everyone

Regards

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac