Lost logins & passwords

OTT_Buzzard 12:36 11 Sep 09

This one's bugging me;

I've had a problem with the PC recently after a hardware change which has resulted in the odd BSOD. Nothing serious as it's eminently fixable by a driver update...when i get round to it!

However, every time I get a BSOD, IE8 forgets all my login details. E.g., normally i'm automatically logged into the PCA site, but not after a BSOD. Same with gmail and every other site.

It's only IE that does it. Chrome is not affected.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to prevent it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:00 11 Sep 09

Sounds as if IE8 is causing the BSOD have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8?

OTT_Buzzard 13:04 11 Sep 09

I haven't tried uninstalling / reinstalling, i really should have done that first. Will try later.

It's not IE8 causing the BSOD though. In this case it's the ATI graphics driver causing it. I can also 'induce' BSOD's by faffing with a USB bluetooth dongle - that has exactly the same affect on IE passwords.

OTT_Buzzard 16:16 13 Sep 09

Well, it seems that the problem is restricted to IE8 only. I uninstalled IE8 and went back to IE7 and the problem didn't manifest itself when the BSODs happened.

Reinstalled IE8 and the password problem's back.

It's almost like the cookies get lost when the PC BSOD's.

Any more ideas?

Sea Urchin 16:21 13 Sep 09

Sounds like it would be a good idea to sort out that driver :@)

OTT_Buzzard 16:24 13 Sep 09

lol. yes it would be a good idea!

Part of the problem is that IE8 also loses all it's passwords when I have to forcibly reboot the PC after it hangs (no particular reason for the PC hanging....just random and infrequent Microsoft issues!).

The password issue is not serious, it's just annoying me that I don't know what's causing it to happen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5