Lost Internet Connection

GazMaz 08:54 18 Nov 04

Not sure anyone can help!

I'm running Win2000, on the base NTL Broadband 350kb connection, and this morning I have lost my connection to the web, (thank God for the internet at work!).
I contacted NTL and we did the following things,
Rebooted the modem, working fine.
Rebooted the Modem and the PC, both working fine.

Went into CMD (dos box) and checked the IP address through IPCONFIG, all looking OK.

Opened up services.msc, then opened the DHCP client, clicked on stop, then start.

Went back to CMD and ran ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig/renew
after all this my machine still wouldn't connect to the web, oh and we stopped Zone Alarm and AVG on the PC reboot as well.

The NTL person said (really helpful) sorry that's all I can do up to you now!!!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Philwane 09:09 18 Nov 04

When I get this problem with NTL I switch the power off the Modem leave it for at least 30mins then turn power to Modem back on and leave for 2 to 3 mins to settle down.

Always works for me?

andrew-196854 09:16 18 Nov 04

only an idea but have you updated your drivers for your modem

GazMaz 09:25 18 Nov 04

Dibblydufuss I have not updated the drivers since the original connection was made, probably over a year ago, bit surprised that it has suddenly gone down.
Plus NTL have never informed me a a driver update for their box! Will try and find a driver but with NTL I don't hold out much hope.

Philwane I am currently doing what you suggest will get back and tell you how I got on.

GazMaz 10:00 18 Nov 04

Well I've just rebooted everything after a 30min wait, and nothing not a sausage any further ideas?

Philwane 10:27 18 Nov 04

Sorry to hear it did not work.

Thats the only way I have used

NICTRY 10:32 18 Nov 04

I know this may sound odd but I have been losing my BB connection a few times each day since the weekend, tried everything and eventually turned out to be a new cordless phone that I had bought (previously had a BT one replaced with a BT one) but it was causing the connection to drop every time a call came in????? Just a thought in case you have a cordless phone in the house?

GazMaz 10:44 18 Nov 04

Thanks yes we do have a cordless phone but we have had the phone/phones (one near the PC for almost a year with no issues, NTL are now indicating a possible Ethernet Card Driver issue.
Any further ideas still very much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…