lost ini system files, registry error?

Mad Boy 17:04 03 Feb 03

i just booted up my PC there after uninstalling Zone Alarm (Im using Win98Se,10GB HD, 533Mhz intel celeron,128.0MB Ram)

Upon loading up i recieved a black screen saying something about-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows cant find the system ini files which may be needed to run your PC. Have you deleted a program on purpose or uninstalled the device which holds these ini files.
It then mentioned something about the registry.

Is my PC safe at this point, it has loaded up correctly (for now i think)

I think i just backup important data now.

Your thoughts,suggestions,opinions etc?

Many Thanks

spikeychris 17:11 03 Feb 03

You could do with either repairing or restoring the registry click here and wait for the redirection then follow the advice.

Chris

Mad Boy 17:19 03 Feb 03

I typed in scanregw from the run dialog and apparently i have no errors in the registry.

What now?

Thanks chris

spikeychris 17:31 03 Feb 03

How about running sfc from start > run, it will replace corrupted and missing system files..

Chris

Mad Boy 17:36 03 Feb 03

ummmm, believe it or not i tried that, but one incy wincy little problem.....

IT WONT SCAN :C DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spikeychris 17:52 03 Feb 03

Try SFC in safemode.

woodchip 17:52 03 Feb 03

Start in safe mode, go the Explorer and the Windows folder look for System.bak or something like that and change it to System.ini some software you loaded as changed it or removed

woodchip 17:54 03 Feb 03

For registry start Dos and Type Scanreg/Restore choose a date before your problem

Mad Boy 17:57 03 Feb 03

Cannot find a Device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI files refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try re-installing that application to replace the missing file.

vsdata95.vxd

woodchip 18:05 03 Feb 03

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box vsdata95.vxd click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with vsdata95.vxd in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type vsdata95.vxd and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than vsdata95.vxd then reboot your computer

spikeychris 18:12 03 Feb 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…