Lost image quality

zoobie 09:59 13 Jan 04

I had pics on d drive that got moved to c drive while i formatted d to fat32 from fat16. Now, i've moved the pics back to d drive and they've lost a lot of color and clarity...what gives? Thx

Pesala 10:20 13 Jan 04

Check that you have reinstalled the graphic drivers properly and are not running in 256 colour mode or something.

zoobie 10:31 13 Jan 04

Nope...It's still set on high color 16 bit. All pics seem to now need sharpening. The text on some is almost unreadable. Maybe I should have copied them initially rather than move them...

Pesala 10:38 13 Jan 04

If it did, you wouldn't be able to open them at all. You must have changed them from TIFF to JPG or changed the compression ratio to save space at some point.

scotty 10:41 13 Jan 04

There will be no loss of quality copying or moving files. They are digital information so are copied identically with no loss of information.

With jpeg files, I have noticed that some graphics programs give very different results when displaying the same file. Try using another program.

zoobie 11:14 13 Jan 04

I think the problem was the fact that they were saved in fat16 format...then thrown into a fat32. Somehow, the pics are all screwed up and look like a lot of the color has been reduced...to the point of showing jpg artifacts. Bummer...

zoobie 21:15 13 Jan 04

So, interacting with another formatting thread here, I think you're screwed if you've saved pics in a fat16 D drive, move them to a fat32 C drive, reformat the fat16 D drive to fat32, then move the pics back to D drive...The quality is all ruined, a lot of color is gone, and they all need to be sharpened once or so...ugh

DieSse 22:09 13 Jan 04

Ah - I've found your other thread. Moving data files around has no effect on them whatsoever. The difference between FAT16 and FAT32 has nothing to do with the data, only with the way the files are organised.

You have to look elsewahere for the cause of your problem - it simply CANNOT be the change to the disk file structure.

zoobie 22:55 13 Jan 04

Well, I was hoping someone could point me the way...Somehow, I didn't think the size of the file table mattered...
Anyone?
Thx

VoG II 22:59 13 Jan 04

As DieSse says, it is nothing to do with where the file is, the file system etc.

Have you tried copying them to a floppy (this will NOT damage them) and viewing on a different machine?

woodchip 23:05 13 Jan 04

This may help it's worth a go, Open Windows Explorer go to view\Folder Options\view Scroll to bottom of list and put a tick in "smooth edges of screen fonts"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…