Lost icons and "Start" on Desk top

Will 20:41 15 Aug 04

Just opened the computer and it only opens up as far as the wallpaper. I would normally expect the icons and "Start" task bar to flash up put they just don't appear. I managed to get onto here by going through Task Manager (Ctl Alt Delete) and chooseing new task. I have scanned with Spybot and adware through the same process and nothing new found. Any body got any simple answers for me? Has somebody switched off something they shouldn't?

VoG II 20:45 15 Aug 04

Version of Windows?

THE TERMINATOR 20:57 15 Aug 04

Through task manager RUN the control panel applet by entering control>choose TaskBar and Start Menu properties.>On the taskbar tab unselect AUTOHIDE TASKBAR if it is selected....TT

Will 21:12 15 Aug 04

Where is the "control Panel" file Terminator?

Will 21:44 15 Aug 04

where is control panel when I am browseing for it and I am running XP

stalion 21:47 15 Aug 04

go to start and then control panel

THE TERMINATOR 23:06 15 Aug 04

When you start the task manager and click on new task, enter control and click on OK This will start CONTROL PANEL, then follow instructions above....TT

THE TERMINATOR 23:08 15 Aug 04

That is "control" (without the quotes)....TT

THE TERMINATOR 23:15 15 Aug 04

Sorry I could'nt answer earlier, the pc was in use by my other half. If you goto display properties and click on the desktop tab, and then customize, you can get the MY COMPUTER & MY DOCUMENTS icons from here, if these are the icons you have lost...TT

Chegs ® 05:26 16 Aug 04

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to start the "Task Manager"Select "Applications" tab,"New Task" then "Browse" to C:\Windows\explorer.exe and start that up.This is the app that controls taskbar/desktop icons,etc If windows has lost it/corrupted it,etc,there is a duplicate hiding in dllcache,return to "New Task" box and type in "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache" (without quotes)There is where you will find a duplicate of "explorer.exe" and its a protected system file,if restarting PC(thru TM)doesn't cure your problem or these files dont show,then you need your XP CD,and type SFC \SCANNOW to repair damaged files.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:11 16 Aug 04

that's great, I have been having this problem after non responsive programs, sorted now.

Tas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…