lost icons and chevrons in notification area. Wind

ss6c 19:27 28 Aug 09

I have looked at the previous posts that touch on this subject but nothing I do seems to help.
I have lost the icons I previously had in my notification area. most importantly the volume control and the disconnect usb storage devices (when plugged in) Icon.

I have right clicked the taskbar and gone into properties and customise. there is now only 3 processes in the current items. Even if I click always show on volume, nothing happens.
in control panel - sound and audio ensured place icon in notification area was on. unclicked and re ticked. this put it in the notification area until reboot.
can't find a way to put other icons i want back even temporarily.
i have recently installed AVG anti vrus. Anybody know if this might be related?

Also the arrows/chevrons for revealing the icons has gone.

rawprawn 20:14 28 Aug 09

In Taskbar properties/ Notification area have you "Unticked" Hide inactive Icons?

ss6c 20:36 28 Aug 09

Thanks for responding. Yes I have ticked and unticked hide inactive icons a few times. Doesn't make a difference. Currently hide inactive icons is ticked on.

Sea Urchin 20:55 28 Aug 09

You could try running a couple of the kellys korner tweaks

No 320 (left column) and N0 294 (right column)

click here

ss6c 21:09 28 Aug 09

Wow. Number 294 worked. ran it twice, first run removed everything which was a bit disconcerting, second run put back everything i normally have including chevrons. will see if it persists after reboot. thanks a lot.
Still wonder why it happened, anybody got any ideas?

Sea Urchin 00:31 29 Aug 09

Hopefully they are back for good - and why did it happen, you ask. The notification area clearly became corrupted, but I guess the reason will never be known. It's most unlikely to be anything to do with your download of AVG.

If they do disappear again I would suspect possible malware. If so, then download - update and run Malwarebytes (the free version).

click here

But hopefully it won't come to that.

birdface 01:06 29 Aug 09

A little tip Always have one with always hide on it in customize current items.

ss6c 11:09 29 Aug 09

Thanks for all your responses. Unfortunately it did revert back to not working properly on re boot.
I will try malwarebytes. nothing seems to have been picked up by ad aware, spybot or a-squared though.

rawprawn 11:14 29 Aug 09

If MWB doesn't find anything, I would run a system file check.

ss6c 12:45 29 Aug 09

MWB did not find anything, however I ran the kelly's corner thing again a few times and it seems to have repaired it so that the notifications stay after a reboot.

How would I run a system file check, I'm sure I could find out how to do it but what would I be looking for?

Again thanks for all your helps.

rawprawn 13:14 29 Aug 09

If you are running XP, go to Start> Run> type sfc /scannow and then press Enter.(Watch the space between sfc and /)
You will need your XP Disk, it will ask for it if needed.
This will check all your system for corrupt or missing files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…