lost icons

baron15987a 10:35 28 Aug 09

After installing microsofts's live photo gallery I ended up losing a lot of icons.
I deleted the said software but still have not gained the use of the icons.
I have also lost the the file icon for many programs, specificaly all the isocs that show that the file is a pdf file.

does anybody have an idea?

thanks in advance..

mooly 10:55 28 Aug 09

System restore ?

baron15987a 11:04 28 Aug 09

sad to say, mooly, the system restore function was switched off at the time of this problem.

Les28 13:24 28 Aug 09

Operating system XP ?

Have you opened My Computer, ticked on Tools, then Folder Options..., then the File Types tab, scroll down the registered file types window to PDF, single click on PDF to highlight it in the list, what are the Details shown below ?

Just wondering if the Live Photo Gallery program has taken over from the previously assigned programs to open some file types and you need to reassign them file types to the previous programs used for opening them.

Same with other file type icons that you mentioned you've lost the use of, maybe you could reassign them to their original opening programs by right clicking on the file and selecting Open with, pick their original program and ticking always open with, just a thought.

baron15987a 09:35 01 Sep 09

My operating system is XP with sp3 and although the icon in every folder is missing, the pdf file still works and is opened with the correct program.

I checked the properties of the file and it is still asigned with adobe.

My other shortcuts will not let mr change the icon or the location.

GaT7 15:52 01 Sep 09

Try Tweak UI to repair/rebuild your icon cache.

Download click here

Run it, select Repair (bottom of the left pane) & with 'Rebuid Icons' selected, click on the 'Repair Now' button.

You may need to reboot to see the changes, so if no immediate visible effect, reboot & check your icons. G

P.S. Related problem at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…