Lost hard drive

Condom 20:22 13 Dec 06

I have a home built PC running XP Pro SP2. I have 2 hard drives C and D. I decided the time was right for a clean install as her indoors had been playing around a little and it was getting a bit slow. I checked that everything was backed up on drive D and did a format of drive C ready for a fresh install. I had Norton Ghost and Norton Go Back installed but rather than re-installing from there I wanted a fresh start.

Unfortunately after reinstalling XP I find that Drive D is no longer recognisable. Before the format both drives were partitioned as NTFS but I now find that drive D is showing as MBR ( Master Boot Record) Drive D shows up in my Devices as working OK and also in the BIOS but it does nor appear in My Computer. The 2 DVD drives are now D and E when they used to be E and F.

THe old D drive is showing as 19454 MB without any space left so it has not been wiped clean. I have nearly 15 years of financial information backed up to this drive as well as some irreplaceable photographs.

I put Ghost back on again but it has not made any difference. Norton have been no help.

Has anyone any ideas what happened and how I can get this information back off the old D drive. I am assuming that Ghost has altered Drive D as I can think of no other reason for this to happen.

Goolie 20:46 13 Dec 06

I had this problem due to Norton Go Back. Look At This: click here

Condom 01:15 14 Dec 06

You guided me in the right direction. Thank you. The problem was as you say with Go Back and not Ghost. I reinstalled Go Back rebooted a couple of times and I got my hard drive back with everything still in place. What a relief. Next time I'm keeping 2 backups, one off computer in a USB Drive.

As its late and I'm now very tired I'll leave the taking off of Ghost and Go Back until tomorrow and make sure my 2nd Hard Drive is back to NTFS. Than you PC Forum for sorting out what Symantec said was nothing to do with their programs.

Goolie 03:46 14 Dec 06

I am pleased to have been a help!

Goolie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…