lost graphics card

jensen1 22:48 18 Jul 06

Before repairing win xp last year a Belarc Advisor profile showed that there was a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX (Display adaptor) and a AOC 19" Monitor present on the system but after the repair the new profile had 'none detected' in the Display section. There are no Display Devices at all showing in the Device Manager but there is a reference to NVIDIA in Services (Local)and in Add or Remove programs. As everything still worked ok so i decided to leave well alone. I would like a new card but a scan on the Crucial website says that there is onboard graphics only but the m/b (Asus P4V800-X)does not have onboard graphics. Can i just exchange the card for another? Thank you

umbongo(uk) 22:59 18 Jul 06

yes you can just uninstall any nvidia graphic drivers first(the best way to do this and remove them cleanly is use drivercleaner its free and will gaurantee old drivers are removed)

click here

then swap out your cards replace with new card then on reboot it will scan you computer and say its found the new card dont let windows install the driver
its best to go to the manufacturers web site ie nvidia
click here

or ati
click here

if its an ati and down load the new drivers then run the program downloaded and thts it all set up n done
any more probs dont hesitate to ask

Stuartli 23:05 18 Jul 06

As you say your mobo doesn't have onboard graphics (click here).

If you get a new graphics card you should also download the latest drivers from the nVidia or ATi websites (depending on which chipset you plump for).

Before installing the card, read this guide to whichever version is appropriate:

click here (note the section about removing earlier drivers properly, including downloading DriverCleaner Pro).

If you get an ATI card, I've found that just downloading the 6.6 standalone driver rather than the full Catalyst set, and substituting the much smaller ATI Tray Tools (does a similar job to Catalyst) is just as effective.

You'll need to download .NET Framework (plus update security patch) for ATi Radeon or some other models with Catalyst drivers.

jensen1 20:54 19 Jul 06

thank you both very much for your detailed help it is much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…