Lost the 'general' tab on internet options tool

nick1256 18:45 21 Apr 04

As the title say's.
Without it I can't change my home page.
It used to be there but having had my home page changed (hijacked)i find I can't change it to what I want.
Any ideas how I get it back?

Nick.

BurrWalnut 19:07 21 Apr 04

This may work if you're locked out of Internet Explorer Options

Run regedit and navigate to registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
Click NOBROWSEROPTIONS. If it is 1 set it to 0 (zero).

If you're unsure, backup the registry first (Win98) or create a restore point in WinME or WinXP.

Eric10 19:12 21 Apr 04

You seem to have got a policy set up on your computer. Close IE then go to Start, Run. Type MMC and click OK. When the Microsoft Machine Configuration program opens, go to File, Add/Remove Snapin, click the Add button and highlight Group Policy in the list. Click Add, Finish, Close and OK. Expand the 'Local Computer Policy' branch then 'User Configuration'. Expand 'Administrative Templates', 'Windows Components' and 'Internet Explorer'. Click on 'Internet Control Panel' and in the right pane double-click 'Disable the General page'. Click the Disabled radio button and then OK. Close MMC down (you don't need to save) and you should have the General page back again.

nick1256 18:45 26 Apr 04

Thanks for the tip Eric10.
Got as far as add/remove snapin in MMC but there was no 'group policy'on the list to highlight.
Any suggestions
(running IE in win98 if thats any help)

VoG II 18:47 26 Apr 04

This won't solve your underlying problem but try using Start Page Guard to change your homepage. click here

powerless 18:55 26 Apr 04
  Eric10 22:06 26 Apr 04

Sorry Nick, I incorrectly assumed Windows XP so disregard the instructions in my previous post. The policy editor for Windows 98 is Poledit. It is available in the Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit folder on the Windows 98 CD-ROM but I think the link provided above by Powerless may provide a better solution for you.

nick1256 18:39 27 Apr 04

Thanks for the help everyone.
BurrWalnut was on the right track but powerless had it spot on.
I don't know where i'd be without this help forum!

powerless 21:23 27 Apr 04

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…