lost firefox bookmarks

archie330 19:03 27 Jul 05

Can anyone please help. I opened Firefox as usual, only to find that my bookmarks had disappeared. As the browser opened it asked me to create another user id. It would not open unless I did . So I created another user and when Firefox opened - no bookmarks. I think they are possibly under the original user name, but how do I go back to it ?

archie330 19:46 27 Jul 05

Anybody?

VoG II 19:51 27 Jul 05

Use the Profile Manager? click here

archie330 20:20 27 Jul 05

Mr.VoG - Thanks for your help. I will give it a go.

archie330 20:44 27 Jul 05

VoG I created anew profile but both it and my old one, when I open the browser, do not contain my bookmarks - any ideas, please?

octal 22:22 27 Jul 05

If you open Windows Explorer and navigate to your old profile folder C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ if you are using XP. Then locate your old profile, you are looking for a file called Bookmarks.html this file will contain all your old Bookmarks. Best to save them to somewhere where you can find them easily then using Manage Bookmarks in FF and import them.

octal 22:27 27 Jul 05

An easier way might be to drag and drop the Bookmarks.html file from your old profile to the new one, overwriting the new one with the old. I've never tried that, but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

archie330 17:39 28 Jul 05

Thanks for all your advice. I have solved the problem by using the XP restore facility. I went back a few days and there was the Firefox browser with all my Bookmarks - fanbloodytastic.

octal 19:25 28 Jul 05

I know you've ticked the thread but it might be worth backing up you Bookmarks occasionally, especially if you've got thousands of 'em.

archie330 20:31 28 Jul 05

Thanx Octal, I've done just that - on a floppy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…