lost files in "My Pictures"

Rene 23:15 02 Jun 03

I have spent several days scanning a lot of old black and white negatives and some colour slides and saving them into "My Pictures" in "My Documents", with the intention of burning them onto a CD. They all showed up fine while I was doing the scanning. I came to do the burning this evening and cannot access the files. The "My Pictures" folder will not open, although its properties tells me it contains 211 files, which would be about right. Can anybody identify the possible problem and advise. I would be awfully grateful.
Rene.

Ironman556 23:33 02 Jun 03

Have you tried leaving it for a bit... it may be trying to load a rather large picture for preview, which will cause the window to apparently freeze.

In 98, you could set a folder that opens to not display as a web page, and then go to the folder options and set all folders to be the same. That should stop if trying to preview.

There's a way to disable the preview used for AVI files in XP, but I'm not familiar with XP so I don't know how to do it. Some other forum members should be able to help there though. I've seen a few posts about it, if I find the method I'll post it.

Rene 22:27 03 Jun 03

Afraid this does not help but thanks for trying. What happens is that it comes up with "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and has had to close". It doesn`t actually close, just closes the search. Rene.

Ironman556 23:35 03 Jun 03

When you say just the search closes, are you actually searching the folder at the time? Or just trying to access the folder and the search is unrelated to what you're trying to do? Are you left with a blank window after that? (And finally...) What operating system are you running? (Sorry for the questions, just trying to get the problem in my head)

Explorer might have become corrupt, but I don't see why it would only be with "My Pictures".

Have you tried accessing the folder in different ways? i.e. Opening from Desktop as one method, or using explorer to browse to the file. I can only explain the difference as,

clicking "My computer", then clicking "My pictures" to get to the files

or

hitting the windows key and "e" to open the explorer window which will allow you to browse in to the file in a different way.

Both ways should behave the same, but occasionally I've found that a folder that isn't liked by Windows one way, can be accessed the other.

If you still can't get to them you could either try running scandisk to see if there's an error it can fix, or going to run and typing "sfc" to launch the system file checker. The SFC will replace any Windows file's that have become corrupt, you'll need your windows install disk nearby to refresh the files it finds.

Granger 00:03 04 Jun 03

See if you can see them from a DOS prompt. If you can't from the windows command prompt, restart with a boot disk and then use DIR /P to drill down.

Rene 12:51 04 Jun 03

Many thanks for interest and efforts. Not yet solved. Am running XP Home on Athlon XP 2000+ with 512 mgs ram. I go to My Documents - to My Pictures from the Desktop. Rt click on My Pictures - size 6.59mb, 212 files 19 folders. Left click on the My Pictures folder - displays another My Pictures folder left click - displays another one , and so on ad infinitum - never opens!
Opening Windows Explorer - to My Documents and My Pictures - exactly the same result.
Searching from "search" facility in start menu - using title of one of the files I know is in the My Picture folder - searches for a wee while then comes up with "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" and the screen freezes. Explorer is fine with everything else.
Can`t find scandisk or system file checker. Does XP have alternatives? Have tried removing "read only" property from folder to send to a CDRW, but it immediately reverts to "read only" and won`t let me send or move it anywhere.
Short of starting another folder and rescanning everything, I`m stumped. Rene.

If you do a search from the Start menu does this show the files that you are looking for?

Sorry, just read your last post again and I see that you did try a search.

If you go into My Computer and right click on the drive which contains My Pictures, then select Properties and Tools (I think) you should be able to get scandisk to run from there. It may want the system to reboot, if so let it. Hopefully this is just a case of a pointer pointing to the wrong location, something that scandisk should be able to fix.

xtreme_computing 13:05 04 Jun 03

system file checker can be done from start/run and type sfc /scannow

have your xp cd handy as it may ask for this.

scandisk can be found if you goto my computer right click on your hardrive/properties/tools and error checking

To run the System File Checker, just go Start | run | sfc /scannow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…