Lost Favorites in Internet Explorer (OS - XP)

David4637 18:00 17 Mar 05

I moved my Favorites from the C: drive to the D: drive after I partitioned the Hard drive, by drag and drop.
Now my Favorites have disappeared from the left hand panel in IE. The panel is greyed out, and I can’t save them or organise them from the menu bar.

Herewith some options –
Can I copy them back to the C: but which folder – I gather it’s a special system folder.
Can I repair IE, my PC uses a factory restore CD not WXP CD.
Could I uninstall IE, then reinstall it by down loading it from MS.
What is the easiest way and how do I do it? Thanks David

David4637 18:03 17 Mar 05

PS - WXP SP2 installed.

David4637 21:49 18 Mar 05

Please any help on repairing IE6 SP2? Thanks David

Completealias 21:59 18 Mar 05

Your favourite folder default location is

C:\Documents and Settings\Cilla\Favorites

Where cilla is your user name paste back the folder you moved to this location and see if that works

pc moron 22:05 18 Mar 05

You can do as Completealias says, or you can Import them into IE again- File> Import and Export...

David4637 18:28 19 Mar 05

Thanks for replying, I will give your ideas a try and report back, its got to be easy than a repair using WXP SP2. David

David4637 14:27 20 Mar 05

I can not import favorites into IE as you suggested because the favorites panel is greyed out. I guess some how I have managed to delete the Favorites system folder. Short of repairing this by running WXP SP2 CD have you any last suggestions? Thanks David

SEASHANTY 15:45 20 Mar 05

There is this info on repair IE6 in windows Xp
click here

Completealias 21:37 20 Mar 05

Did you try as I suggested and paste the file back into the location I posted above

Technotiger 22:06 20 Mar 05

Hi, if all else fails, perhaps a System Restore to an earlier time might fix it. Just a thought.

Cheers.

David4637 16:26 21 Mar 05

Thanks for your replies.

System restore and scannow did not restore IE. Your registry edit link to MS was very useful.

Can you please confirm that if I run WXP SP2 update CD it will repair the system favorite folder. I can not use the XP CD because the PC has a restore CD and it would put the PC back to "square one" which I don't want at this moment if I can help it. Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…