Lost External HD

cocteau48 10:27 11 Jan 07

Successfully installed a new external hard drive(freecom 160GB to Windows XP)yesterday.Created mirror image of my entire C Drive using Acronis 7 - also successfully.
Booted system this morning and switched on external HD to discover that there is no sign of Ext HD in My Computer. Device manager tells me hardware is working OK so where has it gone?

Technotiger 10:29 11 Jan 07

Hi, close down PC, then switch on external hd, then restart PC.

cocteau48 10:47 11 Jan 07

Thanks technotiger but still no joy!

Technotiger 10:50 11 Jan 07

Oh, ok, have a look in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks anywhere.
I have two usb external hd's both without problems.

Weskit 10:52 11 Jan 07

Where are you looking, My Computer?

Technotiger 10:57 11 Jan 07

- or - try the drive connected to a different usb port.

cocteau48 10:58 11 Jan 07

No yellow exclamation marks to be seen.
Before I created my mirror image I did use the Acronis secure zone facility but I would not have thought that that would stop the device appearing in my computer.

ed-0 10:59 11 Jan 07

Right click my computer > manage > disk management. Is the drive listed in the right hand window? If it is, what is it's condition?

cocteau48 11:06 11 Jan 07

Weskit: when I installed it showed up immediately in My Computer but now there is no sign of it there.
Technotiger:Change of USB port makes no difference.

Technotiger 11:14 11 Jan 07

Hmmm, have a look at this then, scroll right down to about the last entry for this guys solution ...

click here

cocteau48 11:16 11 Jan 07

ed-O
there is a drive of the right size in the right hand window but but has no designation beside it.
C is my main drive/D my recovery drive / and yesterday the ext HD was showing as (J)
Even without a designation letter its status is showing as healthy(active)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced