Lost emails...please help!

Skinn 21:01 16 Apr 05

Hi all,

I opened up Outlook Express and many of my email folders are missing, along with the emails within them. Also some folders remain but all of the emails have gone. The only thing I can think of is clicked "yes" to a pop-up window asking if I wanted to compress the emails to save hard disk space. This was late last night just before I shut my PC down.

Does anyone know where they might be and how I can get them back? I'm really worried about this as I've lost some really important emails.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:07 16 Apr 05

Can you use system restore to before that point?

G

Skinn 21:10 16 Apr 05

Thanks for the prompt reply. Couple of questions:

Why have I lost them when i only wanted to compact them?

How can I carry out a system restore from last night?

Thanks again,

Skinn

Skinn 22:00 16 Apr 05

Tried system restore to no avail. Where could they have gone and how can I get them back? please help!!

THE TERMINATOR 01:00 17 Apr 05

In OE click on Tools menu and choose options, on the maintenance tab find the folder to store your e-mails. Find the compressed folder and get your e-mails back.

Skinn 10:28 17 Apr 05

Terminator, I have done this and copied the location of the stored folder into "Start>Run" and I can see all of the email folders including the missing ones. I then copied all folders to a mail backup folder on my desktop and then went to File>Import within Outlook Express, went through the process of importing the folders, but it will only import the folders that are already in OE and therefore duplicate all of the messages.

I cannot import the missing folders even though I have backed them up to a folder.

Skinn 12:13 18 Apr 05

Sorry this is so long-winded but I really do need these emails. This is the problem:

I opened up Outlook Express on Saturday and many of my email folders are missing along with the emails within them. Some folders remain but all of the emails have gone. The only thing I have done is clicked "yes" to a pop-up window asking if i wanted to compress the emails to save hard disk space the previous night.

I've tried system restore - no difference - and followed the instructions for locating the OE file folder through the following link:

click here.

The missing emails seem to be in this folder but when I try to import them,
only the ones already in OE will import.

I then went to tools>options>maintenance to find the location of the store folder ,copied the location of the stored folder into "Start>Run" and I can see all of the email folders including the missing ones. I then copied all folders to a mail backup folder on my desktop and then went to File>Import within Outlook Express, went through the process of importing the folders, but it will only import the folders that are already in OE and therefore duplicate all of the messages.

I cannot import the missing folders even though I have backed them up to a folder.I rang Microsoft this morning and they suggested I use DBXtract version 5.

I copied the Store Folder contents, which all have IE icons and are dbx files, to a mail back-up folder. I then used DBXtract v5.01 to extract the files from the mail back-up folder to a new folder on my deskop. When I opened the new folder all of the IE icons were now file folders with nothing in them.

How can I get these folders, and emails within them, back into Outlook Express? The store folder has them all there - named, file size etc - but I
cannot get access them.

I really need access to these emails urgently - can anyone help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…