Lost email

Hangus 12:23 10 Feb 06

I have lost my email from my inbox and my deleted items box for no apparent reason, along with the inbox and deleted items folder. I found where outlook express seems to store a backup in dbx format. I downloaded a dbx reader and tried to recover them but the deleted items dbx is empty, and the inbox dbx has some files missing. Am I looking in the wrong place, or have they been lost forever? Any idea what causes this to happen. I am on XP home SP2, OE6, and use McAfee virusscan and spamkiller. I was not prompted to delete them or carry out any hosekeeping functions at any time, they just vanished along with the whole folder.

Terry Brown 13:56 10 Feb 06

I would suspect that you have a trogan on your system which is affecting your email (and possibly other programs.I sugest you try the various products advertised (adaware,spybot etc) to find the problem.As for your missing mail,it looks like it has gone.

Hangus 14:15 10 Feb 06

I feared that it may be lost forever. I have a full internet security suite which is up to date and it has not detected anything. I have tried some other products in case mine is missing something, but it still comes up clean. I tried a system restore, but that did not recover my lost emails, I did not think it would.

Smiler 14:33 10 Feb 06

Once you have sorted out why you lost the files it might be prudent to backup the outlook folder every week or so.
To do this make a new file preferably on a different drive name it outlookbackup or something.
Then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Application Data
and right click on the file named "identities" and select copy. Navigate to the new folder you made and open it then right click in it and select paste.
If you need to replace in future just reverse the above proceedure to copy the file back to the original location.

GILHOOLEY 13:37 04 May 06

Excellent tip Smiler for getting back 'lost' email. It worked a treat - I went to OE and imported the messages I'd saved elsewhere. I thought they were gone forever! Many thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac