Lost Documents and icons problem

Donna-M 01:47 AM 19 Apr 11

After a windows update my PC has gone weird ( XP home, service pack 3), all items from the desktop are gone, as are all my documents and there are no programs in the start menu ( all the folders with the programs are there on C drive) . The folders "My music and My Documents" are there but none of my files are there. Checked show hidden files from the folder options and went to look back in C:\Documents and Settings\myusername but that is empty.I have quite a lot of items (around 20gb) in the documents and the hard drive has the same free space size so nothing is deleted. Any ideas

Nontek 08:14 AM 19 Apr 11

First, just try a simple re-start. If still the same, re-start again in Safe mode - repeatedly press F8 during startup - then in safe mode, try a System Restore back to before you did the update.

Donna-M 10:29 AM 19 Apr 11

Thanks for the reply, first thing I tried :) and that didnt work. After a hour of messing around I found out windows has moved all my files to a dir000 and dir001 folder hidden away in C drive. The files seem to work but the programs wont. I think i can copy all the documents but looks like a fresh install of windows may be needed.

Nontek 12:21 PM 19 Apr 11

If you have the original XP disc, perhaps you could try a Repair first?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…