Lost Document

yorky925 14:25 05 Aug 10

While cutting and pasting a section into a 100 plus page document, the section I pasted remained but the rest of the document disappeared.
I have used “Recuva” and “File Recovery”. Both of them fail to find the document.

Any suggestions please

Ventad 14:47 05 Aug 10

Have you tried the basic -start-run/start search

Ventad 14:48 05 Aug 10

forgot to say either putting in your name or the doc name

Woolwell 14:54 05 Aug 10

Did you save after the paste?
If not close the document without saving and then re-open. You should find that this will restore your doc to as it was that is if you had been saving it. Or find a backup copy of the original.

skeletal 16:35 05 Aug 10

I fear my suggestions are now far too late, but it may help others in the future.

I also assume you are using Word.

From your description, I’m guessing you may have inadvertently selected the entire document when you cut and pasted. In such a case only the pasted section would remain.

If this happens, you can immediately do a CTRL+Z or “Undo” which will recover the “lost” words. Also, I agree with Woolwell that, providing you have not saved (or have an auto save set that it has saved for you), closing and reopening the document will also recover the lost words.

As for documents disappearing, a common reason for this is editing a document that has been directly opened from an email (note a document disappearing is quite different from words disappearing). Time and again people at work do this, close down the edited document never to be seen again. This may not be your case, but it is worth mentioning. If you have done this, it will be in the “HokeyCokey” folder as we call it. This is the very oddly named temporary internet folder. It will be something like: C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Local Settings\Temporary InternetFiles\Content.Outlook\YKZCDBTH\NameofDocument.doc (No promises for exact location as all computers will be different, and likely to use different software and locations).

You may be able to spot it by opening Word and seeing if it is listed in “Recent documents”, or by opening another document in Outlook (or whatever) and then selecting “Open” in Word. With luck, Word may then open up the HokeyCokey folder and you may see your document. Recent versions of Word/Outlook, make the error of saving a temporary document harder, so this problem may eventually go away.

Skeletal

yorky925 17:05 05 Aug 10

I am in fact using Open Office Writer with Windows 7 64 bit.

I have tried all that has been so kindly suggested, to no avail I’m afraid. But thank you for the suggestion. Sadly I do not have a back up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5