Lost DLL module

spuds 10:34 01 Oct 05

Yesterday I downloaded a programme and was greeted shortly afterwards with an AVG warning that I had a Trojan Horse Dialer.17.E infecting my computer.AVG took care of this, and as a safeguard I did further checks, which all informed me that everything was now fine.

Since the problem, on start-up I have a message that informs RUNDLL. Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~1.DLL This specified module could not be found.

Advice would be very welcome as to what I can or should do to correct the problem.What is that particular module, and how important is it.

SANTOS7 10:38 01 Oct 05

click here
this willhelp,good luck

spuds 11:32 01 Oct 05

SANTOS7-Thanks for the link, had a quick look and printed out the info for a more intense read.

SANTOS7 11:36 01 Oct 05

click here
this tells you what it is...

spuds 11:23 02 Oct 05

Santos7-- Thanks for the extra link, some very interesting information and advice.

I have used the various instructions to remove the offender, going through procedures 1 to 3, but on start-up I still have the error message appear. Any suggestions on how to remove that from the system!.

The annoying thing is that I still do not know how the offender was downloaded, and according to the information in the second link, the NewDotNet seems to have blame for a number of problems.Looks like I will need to contact the company for more information.Having things hidden away in the system can be very alarming as to what they may or may not do.

VoG II 11:24 02 Oct 05

Start, Run, type

msconfig

and click OK. Does it show up in the list on the Startup tab?

spuds 16:45 02 Oct 05

Vog-- Yes it appears in the Startup list, I assume that you untick box, then click apply. Is that correct!.

VoG II 16:49 02 Oct 05

That's correct. You will then be prompted to restart your PC.

When it restarts you will see a dire warning that you are running in selective startup mode. Just tick the box that says don't tell me about this again, and all should now be well.

spuds 19:15 02 Oct 05

A little strange this one. Didn't get the prompt for restart, but did a restart anyway. Original error message now seems to have dissappeared.

Fingers crossed, let's hope that as solved the problem. Thanks SANTOS7 and VoG for the advice and help given.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…