lost display on laptop ??

Magik™ 13:00 22 Apr 03

hi, the xp laptop was running fine, i left it on while i went out, when i got back i moved the mouse to bring the screen up, nothing..pressing "ctrl+alt+del" does nothing, the light for the hard drive is on and the fans are running, pressing the start up button does nothing....i did have one idea...if i unplug the monitor from the desktop, could i just plug that into the back, to see if it works, or do you have to press any buttons to get it to work, which i can not do....any ideas..

thanks

Big Elf 13:04 22 Apr 03

My monitor works with my laptop without any keypressing (Vaio FX-405). If you want to get it to boot again, disconnect the power supply and remove the battery then re-insert.

stlucia 13:08 22 Apr 03

My Toshiba laptop has a reset button -- a small hole in the side where you insert a straightened paper clip, or something similar. For me, that wakes it up when it won't respond to the normal key or mouse-move. But, of course, I lose anything I was doing at the time!

Magik™ 13:09 22 Apr 03

thanks, i will try that first, just one thing, will taking the battery out wreck anything, the laptop is on but no display.......thanks

Big Elf 13:12 22 Apr 03

It shouldn't damage anything but you'll lose whatever you were working on if it wasn't saved. Also XP will probably do a disk check when it boots.

I've done this on mine a couple of times without damaging it.

It could be your LCD that's failed:-(

Magik™ 13:22 22 Apr 03

stlucia, could not find any holes to push the wire into......

sorted, took the advice and took out the battery, put it back in, and it has all lit up,

nice one all.... thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…