Lost Display

slydog 23:14 01 Feb 04

Help i've got myself in a pickle. Ihave just reloaded win XP on my other PC all was well except that it had not installed my disply driver. when I tried to install the ATI RAdeon driver from my disk. the installation failed and halted. with the message that I should set my display adapter to VGA before attempting to re-install. Couldnt find a display adapter in device manager. So then I right clicked desktop diplyay, settings, advanced and then changed it from system to automatic. - Mistake now I cant see anything past the windows screen. obviously windows has loaded, but the diplay driver hasn't. How do I recover from this little mess. Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers all

DieSse 23:27 01 Feb 04

Keep hitting F8 on bootup, and you will get a start up menu. Choose to start in VGA mode (NOT safe mode, which will stop you using even the CD).

The system should start and you should get a picture. Change the Adapter to VGA mode in Display Settings - and restart - it should.

Then you can load the correct drivers for your actual adapter.

slydog 23:47 01 Feb 04

Thanks DieSse I just tried that and its still a black screen. any more ideas.

Cheers |Slydog

slydog 00:01 02 Feb 04

I also Just tried F8 and resetting back to last known configuration that worked and guess what it didnt. Doh

a confused Slydog

DieSse 00:04 02 Feb 04

Try safe mode then - something quite odd is happening. Safe mode only loads a minimum set of default drivers - which "should always" work.

slydog 00:21 02 Feb 04

You are right something odd is going on, just tried that and all I got was a list of drivers and then the black screen again. Do you think maybe the VGA drivers didn't get installed when I reloaded XP I could reboot from the CD and reload XP yet again I suppose, what do you think?

DieSse 00:50 02 Feb 04

Yes - I think you should do that now.

slydog 16:05 04 Feb 04

Ok It,s been a while since I last posted but I've got things up and running now. What the problem was will remain a mystery, as I have now carried a clean reload and re-installed most of my apps etc all drivers are reinstalled OK, so i've just got to plod on putting everything back together again.

One other strange/annoying rthing is as soon as log onto my newly created dialup etc to load an AVG update. I receive a dose of Blaster virus. I can clean it up no problem, but this has happened three times now once after I had F disked a completly new setup.

Many thanks for your help DieSse.

DieSse 19:38 04 Feb 04

To avoid getting the blaster worm again and again

First - activate the WinXP firewall on your connection

Second - you should now be able to stay on the web long enough to download a better firewall - I use Sygate Personla (free) click here

Third - download the WinXP Critical Updates - one of these is to prevent viruses such as Blaster from being able to get into the system - and there are other security issues that are fixed too.

slydog 12:22 05 Feb 04

Many thanks I will do that. I am actually using Zonealarm at the moment is Sygate Personla any better. Do you know why it is that the virus attacks so quickly have my IP address/es (it's happened on two different computers)been logged on a server somewhere?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…