Lost Disk Drive

cheryl.adams.94695 15:23 13 Jan 09

We've got an HP Pavilion computer with XP as the operating system (in French). I believe it's XP Media Edition.
About 2 weeks ago for no apparant reason Drive E (the disk drive) disappeared. I can get it back by doing 'system restore', but next time I turn the computer on, it's gone again.
Someone suggested that it's a Windows download that's caused it, as it does downloads automatically, but would that be right?
Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to put it right?
I'm not very technically minded, so please keep it as simple as possible!
Many thanks.

gary2112 15:54 13 Jan 09

If you click on then if you click on the start button in windows xp then click on control panel. then click on administration tools, then computer management, then storage now if you scroll down the list you will see some of your hard drives in blue if there now, if some have a black strip this shows that the drive its self is not working how it shroud . then you write click on the drive making shore you do not have any important info on the drive you want to keep .then click format this will wipe all data and put the drive back to its default settings start button in windows xp. Then click on control panel. then click on administration tools, then computer management, then storage now if you scroll down the list you will see some of your hard drives in blue if there now if some have a black strip this shows that the drive its self is not working how it should .so then you write click on the drive making shore you do not have any important info on the drive you want to keep .then click format this will wipe all data and put the drive back to its default settings .ps are you a brit in france

cheryl.adams.94695 18:19 13 Jan 09

Last bit first (the easy bit!) - yes, I'm a Brit living in France.
OK - I've done as you said, Start, Control Panel, Admin Tools, but then I got a bit lost (it's all in French). I had the following choices; Assistants Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 , Configuration Microsoft.NET framework 1.1 , Gestion de l'ordinateur, Observateur d'evenements, Performances, Services, Services de Composants, Sources de Donnees, Strategie de Securite locale.
I've tried clicking on each of these, but although I found 'stockage' on a couple of them, nothing led me to a list with hard drives.
Sorry to be dim, but I'm stuck!

cheryl.adams.94695 12:58 14 Jan 09

No-one got any suggestions?

FreeCell 14:09 14 Jan 09

Try going at it by right-clicking "My Computer" select "Manage" (5th one down from top). Then select Disk Management (With all items expanded by clicking on pluses Disk Management is the last of three under the second main heading "Storage")
Then do as Gary2112 suggests.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 14 Jan 09

How to use Disk Management
To start Disk Management:

1. Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
3. In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

cheryl.adams.94695 18:03 14 Jan 09

Yes, It's come back!!!
Many, many thanks. (Just hope it's still there tomorrow)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017